Thursday, July 20, 2006

An Open Mind is an Opportunity to Know God's Will

Today’s challenge is to keep an open mind with all things. When I become confident in my viewpoint it is very possible that I’m missing the faint whisper of the universe telling me (perhaps through a person I dislike even) that there is a better way. I’ve seen the power of an open mind in my marriage. When first married, my wife and I each had our own ideas about managing money, taking care of a house, addressing responsibilities, and more. We were each confident in our own ideas of what did and did not work. However, we both needed to keep an open mind to the other person’s way of doing things and when we did we discovered approaches that were even better than our way individual ways.

The same is true of spiritual practices and religions. I find it easy to get defensive of my way of practicing spirituality because it has been so profoundly positive in my life. What I need to remember is my approach may not work for others. Further, I must remember that there is much that can enhance my own practice when I keep an open mind to the practice of others.

Keeping an open mind simply means that we remember we are human and cannot have all the answers. When we do this we see possibilities that enrich our lives. (I wonder, if we seek to have an open heart, can we achieve it without an open mind?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.