Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Returning to What was Lost

I’ve always considered 1998 the time when I was the most spiritual. I had spent the first six months of the year traveling alone with little-to-no money—5 weeks by train in Europe and 4.5 months by car zigzagging the United States. It was a surprise to discover that once a level of spirituality is attained it is not always sustained. I mistakenly thought spiritual growth was a constant progression without regression. Only now – 8 years later – am I feeling that I am once again approaching that same level of spirituality. For years I wondered why I was not returning to that same level of spiritual awareness. Having been practicing meditation now for over two months I understand why.

I was forced into two practices while traveling: being in the moment and being in silence. While traveling, every single road, sight, person, and experience was new and adventurous. It was actually difficult to spend much time thinking about the past or wondering about the future because the top of each hill brought something I had never seen before snapping me back into the joy of present mindedness. And since I was alone for most of the time, I was enveloped in the wisdom of silence. Both the practice of being in the moment and being in silence – like meditation – resulted in a connectedness to my soul or spirit. The ego, which keeps me from god, was naturally diminished. The result is that I didn’t just travel and see, but I also had countless incredible experiences with a variety of incredible people. I was led downs paths that changed my life for the better and I didn’t resist them for what was familiar.

Once again I’m starting to experience that spiritual aliveness known to me only 8 years ago. The practice of meditation and allowing my soul to override my ego is creating a richness in my life on a level I started to think I’d never see again. The gifts of spiritual growth continue to amaze me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.