Thursday, June 29, 2006

Remaining Detached

In my June 25, 2006 post below I wrote about an awakening I had about my own flaws with at a veterinarian appointment. The awakening came about after being initially disappointed that my prayers and meditation didn’t allow me to act in an appropriate manner. This morning I realized that the disappointment related to my attachment to the outcome. I had not practiced the spiritual concept of being detached from the results of circumstances. I gently offered my intentions for the experience to the universe during my meditations, yet I had a very specific outcome in mind. I didn’t turn the experience entirely over to my higher power.

I was attached to the idea that by praying and meditating before entering a potentially difficult situation I would act in a way that didn’t make the situation so challenging. Then I was surprised when I had more difficulty than normal. It was frustrating. Only after the experience, a little more time, and additional prayer and meditation did the awakening come. The awakening did not come via the path I had been attached to in my mind. And, as would be expected in spiritual matters, the way of the higher power was far better and more profound than my way.

Today I must remember that I can work, pray, meditate, read, and practice, but I must remain detached from the outcome. Only by remaining detached do I remain open to the caring grace of a higher power and avoid unnecessary suffering. Even though my ego likes to think I know what’s best, it only keeps me from a richer life.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog today really stirred me, particularly when you wrote about "unnecessary suffering." I actually had to go to the dictionary to look up "suffer", and it spoke about pain and anguish but more in the physical sense.

The mental and emotional suffering that we all do is, for the most part, unrecognized. I know when I am suffering from physical pain, but I don't always know when I'm suffering from mental and emotional pain. Sometimes it becomes such a part of the thread of my existence that I accept it as normal.

At one point in my life, when I was overwhelmed with responsibilities, I suffered mentally and spiritually on a daily basis because I did not accept those responsibilities. I wanted for my life to somehow be different, the responsibilities lifted and to have a greater sense of freedom.

I wanted someone to take care of me and alleviate my burdens. Instead, I found that the only way out of my suffering was to accept the responsibilities that had been assigned to me by the universe. Once I did this, and did it with joy, all my suffering over it ended.

I'm grateful to the universe for teaching me this lesson, and when I now recognize that I am suffering, I must continue to look at what I am trying to avoid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.