Saturday, June 24, 2006

Don’t Believe the Hype

The stories we tell ourselves about who and what we are become powerful forces in our lives. True or false, we believe them. They either keep us in bondage or empower us to achieve our dreams. The irony is that we can have dreams, know in our core we can make them reality, but we let the negative stories about ourselves (e.g., that can never happen to m; I don’t know how; I’m not smart enough; I’ve been told I can’t do it by someone I respect) to overpower our dream.

At some point an idea was put in our head that holds us back and, for some reason, most of us continue to believe that idea (I’m not lovable; I don’t deserve better; this is the best I can do).

Perhaps when that first negative idea was planted it was true, or at least served to protect us. But years pass, we grow and evolve though the negative stories remain unchanged. Our spiritual challenge is to identify the stories that are holding us back and learn that they are not fact unless we allow them to be. We much change the ending to the stories: Maybe at one time I was not capable/deserving/blessed/knowledgeable; today I am.

1 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been believing my own hype for years. One thing that I've been telling myself is that I can't do things after work because they will leave me feeling too tired. I'm always worried that I will have to face another work day without enough rest. Other roadblocks are that whatever it is I want to do is too far, too much money, etc. I have hundreds of these limitations I put on myself.

Despite my negative thinking, I recently signed up for a three week, one-night-a-week workshop. It was being held at a college which is about 45 miles from my home. However, the subject matter was so intriguing to me and my personal growth, that I decided to sign up for it.

The course was everything I wanted it to be; and yes, it was far and I did get home late and I was tired going to work the next morning. It was worth it!

I next signed up for a one-night workshop in NYC. This meant I had to travel by train from Long Island into the city. This was huge for me. All the same roadblocks sprang up, but I went anyway. Again, it was worth it!

I don't think I got as much out of the workshops as I did from having been able to get passed the stories I tell myself.

I really surprised myself because now I see myself capable of doing anything. I have been putting that belief in myself into practice and am getting amazing results. I'll save those results for another blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.