Saturday, May 27, 2006

Using Words with Care

I’ve been talking a lot about judgment and negativity. The manifestation of those ideas is our words, either spoken or thought. Words have a lot of power. If a parent belittles their child daily, the child will have faith in their flaws over their strengths. If a parent praises their child daily, the child will have faith in those words regardless of the difficulties that may be encountered in life.

The words we say or think to ourselves and others have the same impact. If we think we’re worthless, we will believe we’re incompetent. If we think we’re a failure, we will ensure we never achieve success. If we make a seemingly major mistake and beat ourselves up over it daily for weeks after, we those negative words will define who we are.

Many of the gurus say we must love ourselves first before we can love others. They forget to tell us that we should actually say or think those words, “Today I love myself and know I’m a good person.” As much as I hate to feel like the character Stuart Smiley of Saturday Night Live, the fact is that I immediately feel my energy change when I say those words with faith. I don’t have to believe them, I just need to speak them with an open mind. Otherwise, the negative words I speak will form the foundation of my life.

Lately I've been using the wrong words to define myself.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and our words are powerful. The other day I was with some friends, and as we were commenting on another diner in the restaurant, I started to make a joke at the diner's expense. I stopped myself because I knew that the unkind comment would define me more than it would the diner. Saying, "It's only a joke," or "I was only kidding," when it's at someone else's expense is not in keeping with spiritual thought.

I must also remember that comments about myself, even the self-depracating ones, if negative, will take a toll on my spirit. I must remember to be positive and kind to others and especially to myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.