Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Accepting All Faiths

A friend who is born again Christian told me last week that I would never experience true joy and peace unless I really found Jesus. I heard a Buddhist once say that only Buddhists are truly good people (some years later the Buddhist found fault in that perspective and recanted).

I have trouble with people who are self-righteous in their spiritual beliefs, those people who hold that only their viewpoint is right and all others are inferior. The truth is I have at times felt that way about my practice. It is easy to get defensive about one’s faith, but I see there is no point. Today I try to accept that everyone has their own path to god and their path need not threaten my path. And no path is any better in the universe than any other. In the end, all that matters is what works for the individual. My spiritual challenge is to be accepting and loving of all.

1 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no elitism in spiritual practice. There are many paths, one is not better than the other--only different. It doesn't matter whether we come by way of Jesus, Buddha, Allah or whoever. As long as we are on the journey to enlightenment and love our fellow beings we are on the right path.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.